February 25, 2004


Andrew Sullivan and other gay supporters of The Shrub are experiencing a rude awakening, and it is long overdue. Only Geraldo Rivera's manic support for the illegal war in Iraq surpassed Sullivan's, who regularly excoriated those who opposed the war. The Log Cabin Republicans have acted as apologists for the anti-gay stance of the Republican party through a number of administrations, and now can only offer a mild rebuke to the Resident over the proposed amendment to the Constitution defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman.

The pathetic thing is how surprised they all seem to be. The Shrub gets a pass from these people for lying about a war that has claimed thousands of lives, then act shocked when the same Shrub, always a willing captive of the extreme Christian Right, goes forward with his promise to "defend marriage," a phrase whose meaning no one could possibly have mistaken.

I'm not one of those people who hate to say "I told you so," so:

I told you so.

A doff of the cap for Mayor Gavin Newsom of San Francisco for issuing gay marriage certificates and forcing California to test in court a referendum barring gays from marrying one another.

--------------------

An old friend called me last night, spluttering over Larry King Live on CNN, where Newsom and a female wing-nut from Colorado were squaring off over this marriage debate, such as it is. My friend declared Newsom fit for the presidency, which, after listening to the good mayor, I could agree with. Seems more honest a man than the presumptive Democratic Party nominee, John Kerry, still trying to have it both ways on the war in Iraq.

My friend knows a little about the extreme right, given that he called from Arizona and owns a bumper sticker that says "Don't pray in my schools and I won't think in your church," if I have it correctly. It must be very frustrating to be politically rational and live in a wing-nut state.

Then again, I live in Oklahoma. :)

Today's musical servings:

Keb' Mo' - Keb' Mo' & Just Like You

Lloyd Cole - Lloyd Cole

No comments: